- This event has passed.
Gloucester Township’s Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Day of Service 2019
January 26 @ 8:30 am - 12:00 pm
Due to the inclement weather forecast for Sunday night and Monday morning, Monday’s MLK Day of Service activities have been postponed. We anticipate icy conditions Monday morning and we ask that all of our 800 plus volunteers stay home with their loved ones.
Gloucester Township’s MLK Day of Service activities will now take place on Saturday, January 26th at Charles W. Lewis Middle School.
For volunteers that have preregistered for service projects – your project assignments remain unchanged for Saturday, January 26th. If there are any changes due to a site unable to accommodate volunteers that day, volunteers will be notified beforehand.
Please join us Saturday, January 26th at 8:30 am for registration check in and a continental breakfast in the C.W. Lewis Middle School Gym – 875 Erial Road, Blackwood.
The program will begin promptly at 9:15 am followed by Service Projects.
“Make It A Day On, Not A Day Off”
Please join Mayor David Mayer, Township Council, Gloucester Township Public Schools, and Friends and Neighbors on January 26th by volunteering your time to fulfill Dr. King’s dream of helping others. As Dr. King once said, “Life’s most persistent and urgent question is: “What are you doing for others?” Be a part of fun and worthwhile service projects that have a lasting impact on our entire community.
Monday, January 21, 2019 Saturday, January 26, 2019
Charles W. Lewis Middle School, 875 Erial Road, Blackwood
8:30 A.M. Registration and Continental Breakfast
9:15 A.M. Program & Presentation
10:00 A.M. Departure for Day of Service activities
12:00 P.M. Conclusion of Day of Service activities
Reserve your spot now on this inspiring day by pre-registering through the form below**
**Registration will close on Friday, January 18th at 10:00 am. All volunteers will be notified of their project assignment via email beginning on January 16th. On-site registration will be available on MLK Day, however project availability may be limited.
Day of Service sites:
- Blackwood Animal Hospital – Rehab and extend a walking trail for furry friends to use while waiting for their appointment or stay at the hospital.
Blankets for the Camden County Women’s Shelter – Create fleece tie blankets for the Camden County Women’s Shelter children.REGISTRATIONS ARE FULL Blenheim Fire Company – Help the men and women of the Fire Department with firehouse duties.REGISTRATIONS ARE FULL
Camden County Animal Shelter – Assist in the care of sheltered animals (limit of 25)REGISTRATIONS ARE FULL Camden County Animal Shelter – Treats -Stuffing kongs with a peanut butter mixture for dogs at the shelter. (Activity takes place at C.W. Lewis Middle School).REGISTRATIONS ARE FULL
- Cards for Soldiers – Creating cards to send to our brave men and women a card of hope and thanks.
- Cookies for a Cause – Bake chocolate chip cookies bag them and add a special message for the Cathedral Kitchen. (Activity takes place at Charles W. Lewis Middle School) REGISTRATIONS ARE FULL
- CPR Training – Friends and Family CPR provided by the Gloucester Township EMS. One hour class with all recipients receiving a card of completion. (limit of 20)
- Elmwood Hills Healthcare Center – Spending quality time with residents helping in the activities areas to enrich their lives. Help residents make MLK Jr. Plaques as an Arts & Craft project, helping with Civil Rights BINGO, helping to sort and organize decorations, or just sitting and chatting with some of the residents who enjoy one to one time. REGISTRATIONS ARE FULL
- Franklin Square Village – This active senior community in Glendora needs helpful hands to clean sliding doors of the residences.
- FORE the Troops – Decorate 100 shipping boxes that will be shipped to military personnel overseas containing toiletries and everyday necessities.
- Gabreil Daveis Tavern – Located in the Glendora section of Gloucester Township, the tavern was built in 1756. Service project entails cleaning up the home and assisting in archiving old letters. Project is limited to ten volunteers – adults must accompany children. REGISTRATIONS ARE FULL
- Giggle Books – Create small booklets with playful jokes, nursery rhymes, silly faces etc. Donate them to a hospital for children.
- Glendora Fire Company – Help the men and women of the Fire Department with firehouse duties.
Gloucester Township Family Success Center –The Family Resource Center provides services to families throughout our Township and region. This project is a general cleanup of the area. (outside activity)REGISTRATIONS ARE FULL
- Gloucester Township Scholarship Committee – Create signs for the annual 5K race.
- Gloucester Township Senior Campus Center – Bingo and Valentine’s Day Card making with the Seniors. REGISTRATIONS ARE FULL
- Hats for the Homeless – Sort out and distribute new hats, scarves and gloves to the Cathedral Kitchen guests.REGISTRATIONS ARE FULL
- Helping Our Neighbors – Collecting and sorting toiletries at Chews United Methodist (soap, toothpaste, Chapstick, shampoo, etc.) for the Neighborhood Center in Camden.
- Kingdom Charter Spring Cleaning – Located in downtown Blackwood, this project entails painting and sprucing up parts of the school and outside grounds.
Lake Mathilda – Located in the Erial section of Gloucester Township, this campground has undergone extensive renovations over the last few years. Service project entails cleaning of the buildings and outside area. This is an outside activity.REGISTRATIONS ARE FULL
- Living Word Food Pantry (Gloucester Twp Food Bank) – Organizing, inventory, collection of food and clothing donations.
- PB & J for the Cathedral Kitchen in Camden – Make 800 PB & J Sandwiches and deliver a take home snack for those in need.
- PB & J for the Neighborhood Center – Make and deliver 250 PB & J sandwiches for those in need.
- PB & J for Camden City Outreach – Make 100 PB & J sandwiches for Chews United Methodist Church’s outreach in Camden City/
- Relay for Life – Design cards of hope for residents of Hope Lodge. Hope Lodge is a facility that offers cancer patients and their caregivers a free place to stay when their best hope for effective treatment may be in another city.
- Soles for Souls – Sorting donated shoes. Through the collection and sale of used shoes, Soles4Souls helps create self-sustaining jobs that generate desperately needed revenues throughout impoverished communities.
- St. Vincent de Paul Society (Food Bank at St. Agnes Church) – Organizing, inventory, collection of donations.
- Unforgotten Haven – Located in downtown Blackwood this organization accepts donations of clothing and housing items. Volunteers will sort and coordinate donations.
The MLK Day of Service Registration Site is now closed. We will be accepting in person late registrations beginning at 8:30 am on MLK Day at CW Lewis Middle School. Late registrants will be able to register for projects with the greatest need. Project availability may be limited.
Reserve your spot now on this inspiring day by pre-registering with the form below: