Gloucester Township > Departments > Vital Statistics

Vital Statistics

Applying for a Marriage/ Civil Union License in New Jersey

Payment for Vital Statistics

Prior to submitting payment, please contact the office. (856) 228-4000 x3247

The process to apply for a marriage license during COVID-19 is as follows:

1. Please pay the marriage license application fee using the button above or link provided.

If you would rather pay by check or money order, please mail or put in drop box at the municipal building a check in the amount of $28.00 made payable to Gloucester Township. Mailing address: Gloucester Township Vital Statistics PO Box 8 Blackwood NJ 08012. The drop box is located at the side entrance of the municipal building and is checked three times a day. Whether the check is mailed or dropped off in drop box, please include your name and phone number inside of the envelope.

2. Once we receive your payment for the marriage license application, you will receive a phone call to make an appointment for your marriage license appointment. The appointment will be done via Zoom. The couple and one witness over the age of 18 needs to be on the same Zoom call at the time of the appointment.

3. The couple must fill out the application before the appointment and wait until the Zoom meeting for all three signatures to be done in the presence of the Registrar while on the Zoom call. The couple will show their ID via their webcam, sign the form, and fax or scan over the application and all Id’s. If you do not have a scanner or fax you may take a picture of the application and your ID’s and email them. Link for marriage license application

4. Once the application and ID’s are emailed to the Registrar, the license will be typed and available to be mailed to the couple to get married. The 72-hour waiting period is waived. The license expiration has been extended to 90 days.

5. The couple will then give the license to their wedding officiant before their wedding ceremony. The wedding officiant and 2 witnesses will need to sign the license and the wedding officiant will file the license with the Town the couple was married in.

Please call 856-228-4000 EXT: 3247 to schedule an appointment

You may print out and complete the license application form by clicking on the link below. Please select your choice of pdf format or Microsoft Word document. The links below are the same form, you do not need both.

Marriage License Application (.pdf)
Application for Genealogical Certification/Certified Copy of Vital Record
Application for Non-Genealogical Certification/Certified Copy of Vital Record

*** Do not sign the application before coming in, you must sign in front of us ***

Requirements for entering into a Marriage:

For two persons to establish a Marriage/ Civil Union in this State, it shall be necessary that they satisfy all of the following criteria:

  • Not be a party to another civil union, domestic partnership or marriage in this State or recognized by this State; and
  • Be of the same same sex for civil union; marriages can be same or opposite sex couples.
  • Be at least 18 years of age, except that applicants under the age of 18 may enter into a Marriage/Civil Union with parental consent. Applicants under the age of 16 must obtain parental consent and have the consent approved in writing by any judge of the Superior Court, Chancery Division, Family part.

Where to apply:

The marriage/civil union license application is to be made in the New Jersey municipality in which either party resides and the license is valid throughout the State of New Jersey. If neither applicant is a New Jersey resident, submit the application in the municipality where the marriage/civil union ceremony will be performed, the license is only valid in the issuing municipality.

Please contact the Local Registrar to determine if license applications are handled during business hours or by appointment.

  • If both applicants are residents of New Jersey you may submit the application where either applicant lives.
  • If one applicant is a resident of New Jersey but the other applicant is not you would apply in the town where the resident lives.
  • If neither applicant is from New Jersey, you apply in the town where the ceremony will be performed.


Required documents when applying for a Marriage/ Civil Union license:

  • Proof of identity such as your driver’s license, passport or state/federal I.D.
  • Proof of your residency.
  • Your social security card or social security number.*
  • A witness, 18 years of age or older.
  • The $28 application fee.

*Social security number is required by law for US citizens and will be kept confidential.

Any documents in a foreign language must be accompanied by a certified English translation.

After you apply:

  • There is a 72-hour waiting period before the license is issued. The waiting period begins when the application is filed with the Local Registrar. There is no 72 hour waiting period for a Remarriage/Reaffirmation of Civil Union; however, you must bring a certified copy of your existing Marriage/Civil Union certificate.
  • The marriage/civil union license application is valid for six months from the date accepted, unless the Registrar has given prior approval to extend the validity of the application to a maximum of one year.

What to bring when you apply:

  • Driver’s license, passport or state I.D.
  • Proof of residency.
  • Your social security number.*
  • If either applicant has been divorced or had a marriage annulled, please provide exact dates and place of divorce or the civil annulment.
  • If your former spouse is deceased, please provide date and place of death.
  • A witness (18 years or older).
  • The fee is $ 28.00. It may be paid by cash or money order. If you pay by cash please bring exact change.

*Your social security number is required by law and will be kept confidential.

Any documents in foreign language must be accompanied by a certified English translation.

Please call 30 days prior to the ceremony to make an appointment to apply for the license. Your appointment should be scheduled at least 7 to 10 days prior to the wedding date to comply with the mandatory 72 hour waiting period.

How To Obtain a Copy of a Vital Record:

You must apply for the record in the municipality where the event occurred.

In order to receive a copy of the record you must be the subject, subject’s parents, legal guardian, legal representation, subject’s spouse, subject’s child, subject’s grandchild or subject’s sibling.


Application Requirement for Certified Copies

A Completed Application for Genealogical or Non-Genealogical Copy of a Vital Record

Valid Identification: Valid photo driver’s license or photo non-driver’s license with current address


Valid driver’s license without photo and an alternate form of ID with current address


  • Two alternate forms of ID, one of which must show the current address
  • Vehicle Registration Card
  • Vehicle Insurance Card
  • Voter Registration Card
  • US/Foreign Passport
  • Immigrant Visa Permanent Residence Card (Green Card)
  • Federal/State ID
  • School ID
  • Utility Bill or Bank Statement (within last 90 days)
  • W-2 for current or the previous tax year

If you are requesting a certification, (an informational copy of a vital record not valid for legal purposes) you do not need to provide proof of relationship.

If you are looking for a certified copy, proof of relationship is required that establishes you are:

  • The subject of the record
  • The subject’s parent, legal guardian or legal representative
  • The subject’s spouse/civil union partner/domestic partner; child, grandchild or sibling, if of legal age
  • A state or federal agency for official purposes
  • Pursuant to court order

To establish proof of relationship for…

Your own birth certificate your valid ID is acceptable; however; if you have assumed your spouse’s or civil union partner’s surname, provide a copy of your marriage or civil union certificate to link the name on your current ID to the name on your birth certificate.

Your child’s birth certificate, if the name on your identification matches the name of the child’s parent then your identification will establish your relationship. If your current name does not match the name as recorded on the birth certificate, as the parent you will need to supply a copy of your marriage or civil union certificate or legal name change.

Your spouse’s/civil union partner’s birth record, provide a copy of your marriage/civil union certificate.

Your parent’s or sibling’s vital record, provide a copy of YOUR birth certificate with parents’ names.

Your grandparent’s vital record, you must establish that you are the person’s grandchild by linking the name on your ID to the name of the grandparent. For example, if you changed your last name after marriage/civil union and want a grandparent’s vital record, you must:

1.) Provide your marriage/civil union certificate to show your name at birth,

2.) provide your birth certificate to identify your parent, and

3.) provide the parent’s birth certificate to identify the grandparent.

If you are looking for a certified copy of a record and are….

An executor of an estate, you must supply proof of appointment as the executor.
The legal representative of the executor of an estate, you must supply proof of legal retainer by the executor and proof of the appointment of the individual as the executor.

The legal representative of an individual that is eligible to receive a certified copy of a vital record, you must supply proof of legal retainer by the eligible individual and their proof of relationship.

If you are not a person qualified to get a certified copy of a record but…

You are helping a person receive a certified copy of a vital record they are eligible to receive… you must show your valid ID and a notarized, written release authorizing you to get the record on that person’s behalf OR, you can supply a written release from the person you are helping along with a copy of that person’s valid photo ID.
In need of a vital record and are not the legal representative of an eligible person, you must obtain a court order directing the State Registrar to issue a certified copy of the record. A subpoena is not sufficient to issue a copy of a vital record.

Explore more

Posted in Uncategorized
I Want To: